Can you believe that another year has come and gone? Wow!
And with a new year there always comes new ideas, new plans, new resolutions. We, Chicks, aren't any different in this regard. Individually we are all working on our own goals and collectively this is the time of year when we really start looking ahead to our summer, in anticipation of what this year's Chicks Along the Canal event will hold. You've all heard me say it before but I swear I mean it every time, when I say: "Man, this year was even better than last!" And so it's a given that I think THIS year will be even better than last!
We are so looking forward to putting some new plans into action come this August. We are so thrilled at the prospect of meeting the new chicks who will be joining our ranks but we also can hardly wait to see the familiar faces of those chicks who have joined us in our past events. In honor of the latter and in an effort to get all of us psyched up for this year, we will be counting down the months here on our blog via a special series of posts. A series dedicated to the talented artists and entrepreneurs who make Chicks Along the Canal, the fun, festive, free-spirited celebration that it is!
This month we will be featuring Brit Rose of RosMari Brand upcycled clothing and accessories. We, original Chicks, are quite familiar with the sweet ray of sunshine that she is, as she's become a bit of a staple at our event; heehee.
But for those not yet familiar . . .
Our little interview went something like this:
Well Brit. How exciting to have you as our first featured guest on the new blog! It was a given that you'd be one of the first seeing as you have been such a part of Chicks in the past (both as a vendor two years in a row and participant in our Reclaimed Fashion show in 2011) and have been such an avid supporter of what it is we are trying to do. Thank you for that!
We, of course, know you as one of our local artists.
But tell me: have you always lived in central New York?
- I have lived here most of my life. I grew up in a beautiful log cabin that my parents built and still live in. I have done some traveling and have lived elsewhere including, North Carolina (2 different parts Fayetteville and Asheville) and Lakeshore, Mississppi for a few months after Hurricane Katrina. (I did some volunteer work there, which was an AMAZING experience.) I also rescued my dog, Mama from there. (I'm always thinking of her so I had to throw that in haha)
It is so obvious to see that you have such fun with your work. It's obviously something you have great passion for. When did your passion for fashion design start?
- I have been interested in the art of fashion since I was young, I'd say about 10 years old. I would cut up my old clothing and make it look different. I would also watch, intrigued, as my mom used patterns to make my sister and I summer dresses. I always wanted to go to school for fashion design but haven't made it there, which is OK with me.
Is it something that has always been a part of you?
- I believe so, yes.
I notice you use painting techniques in some of your designs. Are there other areas of artistry that appeal to you?
- Yes the painting technique is a newer endeavor which I really enjoy. I love screen printing but would rather paint one of a kind designs by hand to make my products extra special and unique.
What are some of the things you have had to learn along the way and/or have there been any major obstacles you've had to overcome to pursue your passions into becoming a career?
- My own personal confidence in my work has been a little bit of an obstacle. As in most forms of art, we are our own worst critic so I am always pushing myself forward in order to make my products the best they can be. Money or lack of, is sometimes also and obstacle but to quote Tim Gunn I have to "make it work!"
Are there certain people in your life who have inspired you? Those who are your biggest supporters?
- I am so so blessed to have extremely supportive parents. My mother and father both have taught my siblings and I to do what we love and work hard at it. My mom is really great at keeping me optimistic when things don't always go the way I hoped they would.
Where does the name RosMari come from? Is there a special meaning behind it?
- I have to smile at this one because I am happy to remember my wonderful Grandmother, Rose Marie Rose. She passed in 2006 but I wanted her amazing name to live on. I think it is just as beautiful as her and I love constantly remembering her whenever I hear RosMari Brand.
What is your greatest accomplishment, something you are really proud of?
- This one is tough for me because I am always wanting to move forward and do better. To date, I would have to say that I am most excited to have my products in a couple stores. It was kind of scary for me to willingly put myself out there but it's been very exciting!
It seems you've been quite the busy bee, flitting around many events this past year. Can you tell us more about that? Are there any local places where we can find your creations? (wink wink)
- I love doing shows because I get to directly meet the folks that are going to wear my goods. I also love hearing feedback and compliments heehee. I especially love The Indie Garage Sale in or around Utica and Mayday! Underground Arts + Crafts in Rochester.
Some of my products can be found in Faces of Astarte in Little Falls. It's a wonderful and beautiful eco-friendly salon with a gorgeous and supportive owner! Go there!!!! I also have some items in Ithaca, NY at a shop called The Art and Found. It is a lovely eco-friendly clothing store in the heart of the commons.
Are there any other projects you are involved with that you'd like to share with us?
- Currently I also do a little modeling for Nadine Swiger. She makes really cool jewelry and accessories for her brand, The Sugartooth Dragon. I have a lot of fun modeling and I get very inspired when working with her. Nadine also does a lot of the model photography for my products! I actually met her at the Chicks show in 2012! Haha!
And most importantly: will you be joining us this year?
- I would never miss a Chicks show!!!! I love you ladies!!!
Thank you so much for choosing me for this interview! I look forward to the next Chicks Along the Canal!
Thank YOU Brit!
~And be sure to check back with us Chicks next month for a chat with March's featured guest~
WHO WILL IT BE?!
WHO WILL IT BE?!